Constitution and By - LawsAugust 2016
Constitution of the National Diploma in Engineering Sciences and Special Engineering Apprentice’s Alumni Association
Constitution and By – Laws
26th August 2016
Article 1 Name
The name of this Association will be “National Diploma in Engineering Sciences & Special Engineering Apprentices Alumni Association – Sri Lanka”, hereafter referred to as the “Association.”
Section 1 Focal Point
Institute of Engineering Technology (IET), previously known as the
Technician Training Institute (TTI) Katunayake.
Section 2 Product
Outcome of the IET are Engineering Diplomates by the title of “National
Diploma in Engineering Sciences” (NDES).
3.1 Official Address
No. 244/1A, St. Francis Mawatha, Dalugama, Kelaniya, Sri Lanka.
Official Web Address
Official Email Address
Section 4 Official Logo of the Association
5.1 Dissolution of Sri Lanka Special Engineering Apprentices Association
Sri Lanka Special Engineering Apprentices Association is dissolved and all the tangible or intangible assets will be transferred to National Diploma in Engineering Sciences and Special Engineering Apprentices Alumni Association. Members of Sri Lanka Special Engineering Apprentices Association will be enrolled as new members of National Diploma in Engineering Sciences and Special Engineering Apprentices Alumni Association.
5.2 Dissolution of The Special Apprentices Association of Sri Lanka.
Special Apprentices Association of Sri Lanka is dissolved and all the tangible or intangible assets will be transferred to National Diploma in Engineering Sciences and Special Engineering Apprentices Alumni Association. Members of Special Apprentices Association of Sri Lanka will be enrolled as new members of National Diploma in Engineering Sciences and Special Engineering Apprentices Alumni Association.
5.3 Dissolution of Special Engineering Apprentices Society
Special Engineering Apprentices Society is dissolved and all the tangible or intangible assets will be transferred to National Diploma in Engineering Sciences and Special Engineering Apprentices Alumni Association. Members of Special Engineering Apprentices Society will be enrolled as new members of National Diploma in Engineering Sciences and Special Engineering Apprentices Alumni Association.
Article 2 The purpose
Section 1 Vision Statement
Provide healthier fellowship among the Alumni, while Protect, Promote and Facilitate IET as “The Institution of Engineering Technological Excellence” and be the foremost choice of industries.
Section 2 Mission Statement
Become a “Caretaker – Ombudsman” to the Alumni as well as Present Students of IET, while being a part in providing distinguished Diplomates with high academic and technological standings to fulfill demanding challenges of industries.
Section 3 Objectives
1. To serve as the general alumni association of IET.
2. To protect and promote in every proper way the interests of IET and
3. To foster among alumni a sentiment of regard for each other and attachment to their Alma Mater.
4. To promote communications between the IET and alumni through cooperative efforts using Institutional channels.
5. To promote and enhance alumni service to the IET, current students and to Industries.
6. To promote and enhance corporation between alumni and recognized professional bodies both local and international.
7. Raise funds in every proper way to drive alumni interests.
Article 3 Official Membership
Section 1 Eligibility
1. NDES Diplomates
2. Anyone who has completed 4 years as NDES Student.
3. Anyone who has completed 4 years as a Special Engineering
Apprentice under the National Apprenticeship Board.
4. Anyone who has completed 4 years as a Special Engineering Apprentice in an organization prior to the establishment of National Apprenticeship Board.
Section 2 Privileges
1. All the official members will be ex–officio “Brand Ambassadors” of
2. All the official members are eligible to vote, nominate officers, hold an office and participate in the business.
Section 3 Membership Terms and Dues
1. Anyone who is eligible to become an Official Member as per Article
3, Section 1 can forward a duly filled Membership Application Form to the Executive Committee with endorsements of two current Official Members.
2. Upon the approval, applicant will become an Official Member of the
Association after paying recommended dues.
3. Membership Categories in terms of Dues
3.1 Life Member (one–time payment) Rs. 1500.00 Executive committee will review and decide the value time to time.
Section 4 Cessation of the Membership
1. A member shall continue to be a member as per Article 3, Section
1, or until his death or ceasing to be a member on his own free will.
2. The Executive Committee shall have the power to suspend or remove from membership, any member who in the opinion of the Executive Committee or a Disciplinary Committee appointed by the Executive Committee, is found guilty of misconduct, any unprofessional conduct or contravention of the Rules, Regulations, By – Laws of the Association or whose continued membership is detrimental to the interests of the Association, provided that bef ore a decision to suspend or remove f rom membership is taken, the member concerned is given an opportunity of showing cause in writing why such disciplinary
action should not be taken.
Article 4 Standing Committees
Section 1 The Executive Committee is the standing committee of the Association and comprised of the members outlined in Article 4, Section 3. The Executive Committee will meet at least once in three months to carry out and monitor regular business of the Association and quorum shall be set at 50% of voting members plus one.
Section 2 There are five (5) other Sub – Committees (Article 4, Section 4) where five (5) Vice – Presidents shall be elected and appointed to chair each committee. Respective vice presidents are empowered to nominate an assistant secretary to each subcommittee subjected to approval of executive committee.
Minimum of 3 official members are to be appointed as members of each Sub – Committee and respective Vice – Presidents are empowered to select and appoint members from the Official Member Cadre to each committee, subjected to the approval of the Executive Committee.
Section 3 Executive Committee
Term: Two years from the date of election.
1. Active and effective leadership in steering the Association and its membership to fulfill objectives of the Association.
2. Periodic revives of performance of activities.
1. To be elected in an AGM. Any official member who has served minimum of one year in the current Executive Committee or any of the Sub – Committees is eligible to be elected.
2. Voting Members: President, Senior Vice – President, Immediate Past – President, Five Vice Presidents, General Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Treasurer, Deputy Treasurer.
3. Non – Voting Members: Members of the Senior Advisory
Section 4 Sub – Committees and Responsibilities
1. Sub – Committee – 1 Legal and Administration
1.1 Registration and legal obligations
1.2 Accreditations and affiliations with other professional bodies
1.3 Recognition in professional and Industrial sector
1.4 Maintaining and managing data and reports
1.5 Record keeping and updating
2. Sub – Committee – II Academic and Industrial Training
2.1 Maintaining Standards and setting Benchmarks
2.2 Identification and implementation of Developments
2.3 Periodic revives of syllabuses with IET Management
2.4 Assist in upgrading and acquisitions of Equipment
2.5 Involve on solving problems related to lecturing staff
2.6 Conducting student development programs
3. Sub – Committee – III Membership and Member Development
3.1 Membership drives and public awareness programs
3.2 Conducting CPD programs
3.3 Maintaining and promoting a web based Job Portal
3.4 Promotional activities in local and international job market (conceptual)
3.6 Media campaigns and promotions
4. Sub – Committee – IV Event Organization
4.3 Scheduled and un–scheduled meetings
4.4 NDES Brand Promotional activities
4.5 Special Events such as fund raising
5. Sub – Committee – V Public and International Relations
5.1 Commencing local chapters
5.2 Commencing International chapters
5.3 Maintaining Relationships with these chapters
5.4 Maintaining the association web site
Section 5 Adhoc Committees
The President, upon approval of the Executive Committee, may create other committees as necessary to carry out special purposes of the Association.
Section 6 Senior Advisory Panel
Should comprise of;
1. Minimum of one member from each decade from the last 10th year.
2. Any other resource person/s from outside the official membership, with the discretion of the Executive Committee.
Section 7 Internal/External Auditor
Nominations should be in the Annual General Meeting. Term should be limited to the maximum of 2 consecutive years.
Article 5 Duties of Executive Committee Members
1.1 Should Chair Executive meetings.
1.2 Attend Sub – Committee meetings when necessary and monitor all the work carry out by the Association.
1.3 Lead delegations of the Association in discussions with outside parties and authorities.
1.4 Active leadership in accomplishing common goals of the Association.
1.5 Monitoring individual performance in fulfilling responsibilities of respective roles of the Executive Committee members.
1.6 Motivational and capacity enhancement of Official Members.
2. Senior Vice – President
2.1 Chair Meetings in the absence of the President.
2.2 Attend Sub – Committee meetings as directed by the President and maintain a closer relationship with Sub – Committees.
2.3 Attend to any other business delegated by the Executive Committee.
3. Immediate Past – President
3.1 Chair Meetings in the absence of the President and the Senior Vice – President.
3.2 Contribute in advisory level.
3.3 Attend to any other business delegated by the Executive Committee.
4. Five Vice Presidents
4.1 Upon election to the office of respective Sub – Committee chair, appoint required number of capable members to serve as members and guide them to reach Sub – Committee goals.
4.2 Prepare an action plan and a budget proposal for the year.
Present them to the Executive Committee for approval within one month from the appointment.
4.3 Vice presidents are to be presented previous respective sub-committee progress reports to the Executive Committee.
4.4 Submit previous sub – committee meeting minutes to the General Secretary.
5. General Secretary
5.1 Handle all the correspondence of the Association.
5.2 Attend all Executive Committee meetings and wh